Groundbreaking

For those who have followed this blog for any length of time, you probably remember our dream home project. I’m excited to share that we have finally broken ground! It has been a long process…a very long process. I am thankful that there is finally progress we can see (a slab!) and that there is a date on the calendar when we expect to finish construction (April!).

Friends at Groundbreaking

Friends at Groundbreaking

Here is a recap of where we left off and what has happened since then…you’ll notice that delays and problems can happen to anyone on a construction project, including architects:

February 2015 – I completed my drawings a few months behind schedule and sent my drawings to the supplier of the metal insulated panels we intended to use. Note the word intended. It turns out they stopped production of their wall panels and neglected to tell me – even though we had been in constant communication about ordering, product information, and the like. I made efforts to quickly find a substitute supplier, but out of all the companies I had, they all priced 2-3 times as expensive. At this point, we decided to move forward with stick-built metal studs and insulation rather than prefabricated wall panels. I had to scramble to revise my drawings, pay our engineers to re-do their drawings and delay permitting due to this change. Our construction cost also went up since I couldn’t find a substitute product.

April 2015 – I handed off my set of drawings to the first builder to secure the permits. Note the word first. By July we still didn’t have a permit, and I was getting flagged for missing drawings – drawings which I had created but were not getting printed or delivered to the permit office. A handful of other red flags later, and we were interviewing new builders while I ran the permits myself (and completed in two weeks, no less).

September 2015 – We signed on a new builder and delivered the drawing set and secured permit to our bank to process the construction loan which was supposed to take 30 to 60 days…Note the phrase ‘supposed to’. This all happened days before I ended up in the hospital to deliver my first baby who arrived a month early – surprise!

March 2016 – After almost 6 months and weekly thorn-in-the-side emails from me asking for updates, the bank finally completed their work and we had a construction loan!

And here we are today, the slab is poured, steel is being staged on site and we have a schedule that projects substantial completion at the end of March 2017. We’ve had a few other bumps, but our builder is dedicated to the project and to getting the job done right. We’ve been happy working with him so far and we are excited to see the house finally under construction!

Pad Prep

Pad Prep

Drilling piers

Drilling piers

Formwork

Formwork

View from the guest room

View from the guest room (without porta-potty)

 



Written by: